What We Do
Our services include
- Advising on issues related to employees' inventions
- Conducting prior art searches
- Preparing and filing patent applications in Germany, with the EPO and worldwide
- Prosecuting patent applications in Germany and through our colleagues worldwide
- Representing our clients in opposition / appeal proceedings before the Federal Patent Court and the European Patent Office
- Searching for and monitoring patents of competitors
- Expert Opinions on validity and infringement (i.e. freedom-to-operate-analyses)
- Evaluation of patents
- Litigation & infringement proceedings
- Cancellation proceedings
The question of what kind of protection strategy to choose is primarily dependent on the nature of the invention and the applicant himself. Not all inventions and not all inventors require the same kind/amount of protection.
In order to devise an optimal protection strategy, the individual situation of the applicant has to be taken into consideration. This includes, for instance, considering the market environment in general, identifying potential markets for the new invention, the type and number of already existent IP rights of the applicant or competitors. It is further recommendable to identify places at which competitors operate production facilities, because even if the applicant does not intend to produce/distribute there himself, it might be of interest to bar the competitor from using the invention there.
Based on the results of these evaluations, we assist you in choosing suitable forms of protection (patent orutility model) as well as the countries and/or regions in which protection should be sought. A possible choice would be to first file a national application, such as a German patent application, and then within the next twelve months extend the application into other countries or regions. For a company which has a Europe-wide business, starting with a European Patent application might be the right decision. Also, for applicants who would like to gain protection of their inventions outside Europe, an international application (PCT) should be considered.
We will be more than happy to discuss a protection strategy tailored to your specific business situation and requirements.